Daijha Rabalais

Scenery (2017)

For Two Violins

Program Notes

I started writing this piece in the beginning of spring 2017.  It starts with theme and ends with variations of that theme. The writing process was fun but a little challenging.  It was the first time that I seriously wrote a piece of music as well as a violin duet.  Inspiration came from listening to other composers and finding patterns that I liked in their music.  I had the most difficulty finding a title for this piece throughout the process.  I ended up naming the piece Scenery because of the images that I get while listening or playing the piece.  The beginning has the imagery of nighttime and the second theme is of nature during the day.

About the composer

Daijha Rabalais was born in New York City. She was raised by her mother in Brooklyn. She is currently 20 years old. Daijha started playing violin at age seven. Her first music program was offered to her through ISO in her elementary school, the program was free. Her mother almost insisted that Daijha take the lessons, so she did. Daijha had private lessons for eight years. During that time she participated in orchestras such as the Turtle Bay Youth Orchestra, All City Orchestra during high school as well as her high school orchestra. Daijha continued to play music after her middle school lessons because she found it easier to express herself through music better than speaking. Music is her way of communicating and expressing her thoughts and feelings to other people. Daijha has not considered taking on any other profession because she feels that music is the best thing that she can do. Daijha’s favorite thing to do with music is writing and performing. Daijha compared writing music to taking a long relaxing trip or painting an image. Performing music is more of an thrilling activity for her.

The music that Daijha writes and performs is usually influenced by her current emotions and/or a song that she really likes at the moment. Daijha doesn’t have just one artist that she looks to for inspiration. The work of multiple artists such as James Blake, Corpo Mente, Tyler the Creator and others inspire and fuel her desire to make music. Unfortunately she has not met or played with any of the artists that inspire her yet. The last performance that Daijha did professionally was for Aaron Michael Kruger’s musical called Super. She played in the band as a solo violinist. Aside from playing for Super, Daijha has taught private lessons to anyone that has reached out and requested that she teach them.